Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Downside...

of  camera's, computers and Thalassemia!

I seem to be experiencing the downside of all 3 of those things lately, all of which have caused a delay in blogging. My computer was having major issues and wasn't working at all for a week.  My camera is also having issues.....working... but not well. It takes one picture and then will not take a second one..at least not one that isn't completely black. I have to turn it off and then on again to take another picture.

Anyways, thanks to my hard working hubby the computer now works, but now I am having problems with my camera software that is on the computer.So in order to edit my pictures I have to do it on an online site that I sometimes use, but is definitely not efficient when you just want to do some of the simple stuff, (like cropping) that a complete amateur like me does with pictures, and then calls it editing.

With all that said...blogging has kind of been an ordeal with the camera and computer issues.

Then there is Thalassemia. Well at least I think I am experiencing one of  the downsides of Thalassemia. I have been around and around in circles with the Dr.s and in my head with the relationship between Lauran's behavior problems and her Hemoglobin (hgb) levels or red blood count (rbc).

 First a little background. Her hemoglobin levels definitely have up's and downs! They like to transfuse her before the levels dip below 9.5. Mostly to avoid her bone marrow from going into overdrive..which then causes other problems. That used to be every 4 weeks. Last Fall they were going below 9 at 4 weeks...so she was switched  her to 3 weeks.

When we first switched her to 3 weeks she was generally in the low 9's. Early this year she was at the 9.5- 10 range...so we stayed on the 3 week schedule.

 Then this spring she started having numbers between       10-10.5...which was great! We stayed on the 3 weeks schedule to watch and see if she kept the pattern....which she did! What I noticed in those months of having her levels not drop below 10 was a huge difference in behavior and moods.

 As much as I have asked and researched, Lauran should not really have severe mood issues with her levels staying above 9. BUT....in all the months she was not dropping below 10 we had not one extreme tantrum. She had what I considered more "typical" 3 year old behavior. She had fussiness and outbursts, but not to the extreme that she was having them before. The difference I saw was like night and day to me.

That brings me to this month. Since her numbers were higher for several transfusions in a row we tried to stretch it to 3.5 weeks to see if we could get back to 4 weeks. The 4 days leading up to the transfusion were awful. Her extreme behavior had returned.....and as I had guessed her levels had dropped to the low 9's. The problem is I have not seen a return to her more stable self and we are 2 weeks past the transfusion. I am not sure all what is going on this month.

Like I said, I have gone round and round with the Dr's on the relationship between her moods and her hgb levels. They didn't seem to think going into the 9's should cause a significant mood and behavior issues. Yet they don't negate that what I am noticing isn't real. It seems like the last few months of having really great hgb levels and a complete turn round in behavior...speaks to some cause and effect of her levels and behavior.

What ever the reason, the last few weeks have been tough. She has had a bad tantrum almost every day for the last 2 weeks...sometimes 2 in one day....this week seems to be a bit better though! She has also had sleep issues and has just been overall more irritable. It has been a couple of long, hot summer weeks here!  Sometimes I let the stress get to me..but I still feel God's hand on me in this journey as I learn along the way. The upside of any downside truly is walking through it with faith!


So that is the gist, and then some, of the break in blogging. We have managed to fit in some fun over those weeks and will post some of the few pictures I managed to get with my not working so well camera! A new one is being added to my wish list. Unfortunately..the new one I have my eye on is a  lot of $$$.
I may be suffering for a while :(
 Not complaining....just saying ;)


1 comment:

Jenna said...

I will be praying for you all! I know all of the medical stuff has got to be tough. I hope they can get the numbers regulated so that her little moods will return to good ones!

Hugs,
Jenna